Sunday, October 21, 2007

SPIRITUALITY IN THE ADDICTION RECOVERY PROCESS

For many, spirituality is a key component of the recovery from addiction. Many take comfort in the Serenity Prayer

Serenity Prayer

The serenity prayer is important to many people in addiction recovery. Some find it comforting to wear the serenity prayer as jewelry, such as a pewter cross or a dog tag so they have it with them at all times.

Being able to separate the things that can be controlled from the things that cannot is a basic and critical component for continuing the recovery process. Not understanding this concept can result in frustration, anger, and feeling stressed-out thus possibly leading to relapse vulnerability.

There are variations of the serenity prayer; here is the most common variation.
God grant be the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
God With the saying of this word, I am admitting the existence of a Higher. A Being far greater than I.
Grant With the repeating of this second word I am admitting that this Higher Power is an authority that gives and bestows.
Me I am asking for something for myself. The Bible states that if I ask it shall be given. It is not wrong to ask for betterment fro myself. For with the improvement of my character, people around me will be happier.
Serenity I am asking for calmness, composure, and peace in my life which will enable me to think straight and govern myself properly.
To accept I am resigning myself to conditions as they are right now.
The things I cannot change I am accepting my lot in life as it is. Until I have the courage to change any part of my life I don't like, I must accept it and not accept it
grudgingly.
Courage I am asking for the quality of spirit to face conditions without flinching.
To Change I am asking for conditions to be different.
The Things I Can I am asking for help to make the right decisions and seek progress not perfection.
Wisdom I am asking for the ability to form sound judgments in any and all manners.
To know I want to be able to understand clearly truths of fact.
The Difference I want to see things differently in my life so there can be distinction. I need to sense a definite value in love over selfishness.

No comments: